There was a really annoying bug in the previous build. I wanted to fix this bug and upload a new build immediately, but it would be weird to upload a new build just to fix ONE bug, so I decided to throw in a few other fixes and additions…and now it’s ready!
Aside from the new build, I also have some other stuff to show you, too! Scroll down past this beautiful illustration by yuri0 to check it all out!
Click the text that says “Continue Reading” to see to see a list of everything that is new in this build, and some other things, as well!
Now, I know what you’re thinking – “What?! A partnership with a company?!” But, wait! Don’t panic! Please watch the video before jumping to any conclusions:
Please remember the following key points:
If you’re low on time and don’t have time to watch the video, here’s a summary:
This was a very difficult decision to make, because I was very concerned about how the fans would feel about it. However, considering all of the above points, I honestly see no downside to this partnership. I really hope that you’ll be supportive of this decision!
If you were losing faith in Yandere Simulator’s development, or becoming fearful that the game would never be completed, I hope that this will reassure you. tinyBuild has a history of helping struggling game developers finish their games. With their support, Yandere Simulator is guaranteed to be completed!
Here is tinyBuild’s press release about the subject!
As always – thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!
I usually upload new builds and videos simultaneously – but today is an exception. My next video will contain a really big announcement, so I’ve scheduled it for 8:00 AM PST, a time when more people will be awake. (That’s about 6 hours away from when this blog post goes up.)
I’ve uploaded a new build of the game. To read about everything is new and different in the latest build, scroll down beneath this beautiful drawing by flannel_kun!
Changes and Additions
- Changed the shade of pink that covers the screen when Yandere-chan is near Senpai. Previously, it was 100% magenta. Now, it’s a lighter shade of pink that matches the game’s branding.
- Fixed bug in Pose Mode that would cause graphical errors with the teachers’ textures if trying to change a teacher’s hairstyle.
- If you go into the Settings menu and press the spacebar on your keyboard, you can toggle experimental graphics settings.
- Kokona won’t try to begin her cooking event if Yandere-chan is already cooking in the kitchen at the time of the event.
- Fixed bug that was causing the incinerator’s sound effect to be heard even when nowhere near the incinerator.
- It is now possible to customize a female student’s stockings in Pose Mode.
- Fixed bug that was preventing Cyborg Mode from working properly.
- Added two new hair models for Yandere-chan.
- Added one new accessory for Yandere-chan.
- Adjusted Saki Miyu’s hair model.
Extremely significant progress has been made on Osana – unrelated to code – but I have not had much time to actually sit down and write code lately. You’ll know what has been eating up my time once you see my next video, when it goes live about 6 hours from now. Because of the exciting events that I’m going to describe in my next video, I am now more hyped than ever to work on Osana!
I think that March 1st ~ March 15th is finally going to be the time period when I will proudly be able to say that I’ve finally made significant code-related progress on Osana for the first time since January. I am really pumped up about this! Once again, I apologize that it is taking so long for me to get Osana ready for you. Game development is full of unexpected twists and turns.
After my second “What’s Taking So Long?” video, I received hundreds of supportive messages encouraging me to take better care of myself. I’ve decided to take the advice that I’ve been given. It’s very important to me to continue making steady progress on Yandere Simulator, so I’m still going to work on it 7 days a week, but I’m going to cut down the number of hours that I work. I’m reducing my work hours to about 10 hours per day. I’ll still only take off one day per month.
To relax and unwind after a day of work, I’ve been streaming video games to twitch.tv; if you’re interested, you can come watch me. I usually start streaming every night at 12 midnight in the PST timezone. By the way, I absolutely need to take off an entire day to stream The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild when it comes out, and you’re welcome to come watch me! (If I don’t get it on release day, I will definitely stream it the day afterwards.)
Thank you for your patience, and thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!
If you’re a Vocaloid fan, you may be familiar with “Kunoichi Demo Koi ga Shitai” – a song that was released in 2013. The title translates to “I Want to Love Even if I’m a Female Ninja”, or “Even a Kunoichi Needs Love”. A fantastic English cover was created by rachie and JubyPhonic.
Earlier this month, a fan of Yandere Simulator created artwork for a Yandere Sim-themed parody of the original music video. She showed her work to me, and I thought it was fantastic! With her cooperation and with the help of a video editor, we produced a higher-quality version of her original video. I got permission from rachie and JubyPhonic to upload the video to my channel – and here it is!
I hope you enjoy it!
That’s cool, but what about the game’s development?
I may have some very exciting news to announce soon, but I don’t want to say anything until it’s 100% set in stone. I’m sorry for keeping you waiting! Thank you for your patience!
This is the follow-up video to the video that was uploaded yesterday. Yesterday’s video focused on the problems that are impeding development. Today’s video proposes several potential solutions.
After watching the video, please take the time to vote on these two polls:
Out of all of the solutions that I proposed in the video, which one would you prefer? http://poal.me/2yoaiq
Are you a “Chill Fan” or a “Heated Fan”? http://poal.me/38o6vh
I decided to create a video discussing the reasons why Yandere Simulator’s development is taking so long, and how to speed it up. After writing the script for this video, I realized that it was going to be so long that it would probably be a good idea to divide it into two videos. The first video is about the problems, and the second video is about the potential solutions.
Here is the first video:
I’m sure that you will have some questions after watching this video. Please wait for me to prepare the second video; it will probably address most of the thoughts that you’ll have after watching the first video.
I’ve uploaded a new build with some improvements and bug fixes. I won’t have a new video prepared until tomorrow (Feb 15th) or the day after (Feb 16th). If you’re hoping to hear an update on Osana progress, don’t worry – it’ll be covered in tomorrow’s video.
To see a list of everything that is new or different in the new build, scroll down beneath this amazing illustration of Yandere-chan as a magical girl, created by Lady Tapioca!
And there’s a “Yan” version, too! Check it out!
Bug Fixes and Changes
- Significantly reduced file size and memory usage by compressing numerous files that were way too large. (This should probably fix the “out-of-memory” crashes that have been happening for many users. If the game has been constantly crashing for you, please test out the latest build, because the crashing bug should be fixed now.)
- Fixed bug that could cause the player to permanently freeze after killing Midori in the Light Music Club under specific circumstances (summon, kill, dismember, summon again, kill again).
- Fixed bug that would cause Kokona to have her rooftop conversation in the shower room if she was splashed with water on her way to talk with Saki on the rooftop.
- Fixed bug that would cause a club leader’s subtitles to linger onscreen permanently instead of disappearing like all other subtitle text.
- Students will now walk on pathways instead of walking on grass. Also, students will no longer walk on the borders of pathways.
- Fixed bug that would cause students to always look directly at Yandere-chan whenever she was performing a club activity.
- Fixed bug that was causing bugs with kidnapped victims in the basement if the player was using the 6th school uniform.
- Restored the hidden “give Yandere-chan a long skirt” command, which was accidentally disabled in the previous build.
- It is no longer possible to take a panty shot of a character who is not wearing a skirt.
- Fixed bug that made it impossible to use psychokinesis on teachers during Bad Time Mode.
- Fixed the “bald spot” on one of Yandere-chan’s hairstyles.
- Added sound effects to the east and west fountains.
- Added several new hairstyles for Yandere-chan.
- Added 1 new accessory for Yandere-chan.
- Fixed a typo in the credits.
There are a few subjects that come up repeatedly in the threads. I’d like to create a few polls to gauge how people feel about these subjects:
- Would you like the option to stalk a girl instead of a boy? http://strawpoll.me/1438394
- Would you like the game to have “school life simulator” features? http://strawpoll.me/1438430
- Do you expect the game to be strictly mission-based, or a free-roam, open-world sandbox?http://strawpoll.me/1438455
- How important is character customization to you? http://strawpoll.me/1438438
- Do you care why the protagonist is Yandere? http://strawpoll.me/1438448
Models and animations are just placeholders for now. This is super early pre-alpha footage; the final game will look much more polished.
None of the following features are especially impressive, but I’m just going to post some screenshots to prove that I’m working on this game. You can click any of the images to see a bigger version.
You can walk around in third-person:
As you can see, there are some post-processing effects going on in first-person mode. I can throw all kinds of effects on the screen in first-person mode, such as making the screen turn red when you see Senpai-kun talking to another girl.
Someone came up with this suggestion and I loved it, so I decided to implement it…a camera:
You can take screenshots and save them to a folder on your PC. Here’s why:
The game reads the screenshots from that folder and populates a corkboard in your home with the pictures you’ve taken of your beloved Senpai-kun. I had so much fun implementing this feature!
(Yes, you can abuse this feature by filling that folder with whatever images you want, and they will appear on the corkboard. Have fun with that!)
This last feature is just a minor polish thing, but I’ve added a function for toggling Crazy Yandere Eyes on the protagonist:
It’s such a minor detail, but it was so easy to implement that I just couldn’t resist.
I promise that the next update will have more significant features than these minor ones.